Tuesday, July 18, 2017

JOB HUNTING...ARGHHH

BEYOND Smart Hire 
Career Builder ILENSA  ZIP  RECRUITER MONSTER Financial Job Bank Resume Library  Jobvertise


Accountemps Leddy Group Complete Staffing KBW Nagler Group SNI Randstad Staff Hunters United Staffing 

Wow, job hunting is nothing like it used to be!
Of course, the last time I looked for a job was 17 years ago. Do you remember looking in the employment section of a newspaper? How times have changed!

So I thought I'd be smart and I started out by lining myself up with several agencies, but I was told by the second one that they don't recommend that. 


Hmmm, too bad, I want a job now! 

I also figured even if they don't have the perfect job for me they can get me temporary work to hold me over...well I learned some things. Hopefully this will help someone else some day!

Rule #1 Do not tell them you want something specific or they will not consider you for anything else!!!  Mistake #1. I was totally honest with them about what I want for my next permanent job, including pay rate. So when I called to check on these other jobs I see available they ask, "Oh, so you're willing to work temporary jobs?" Well yeah! Duh!

Rule #2 Do not tell them how much you want to make for a permanent job or they will not approach you with anything less!! See above...my next call about a job I see posted and they ask "Oh, so you'll accept a different rate for temporary?" Again...Well yeah! Duh!

Rule #3 Do not assume that all jobs  available are listed where you can see them. Headhunters have their own networking! I have been all over every job site out there for hours every day, yes, looking at a lot of duplication, but hey, I didn't want to miss that perfect job! 

Rule #4 Don't let anyone tell you that you should stick with just one agency! So now I talk with ANOTHER agency I need to contact and what do you know...after 4 weeks of applying and searching, 3 - 4 hours a day, sometimes more...30+ resumes submitted - and he's got something lined up for me the next day!

Rule #5 Along with all the other changes...don't use that "old fashioned" resume style. So Agency #1 advised me to make some changes. No problem, I'm all for adapting. Then Agency #2 sees my new resume and advises some other changes. Works for me! Then Agency #3 advises I make changes like the previous one had! I'm up to revision #6, and still make slight changes to suit some positions.

So my advice to you...don't leave your job search in anyone else's hands, but by all means, reach out to as many agencies as you can. You never know which one will have that perfect job for you!

The bottom line, you do whatever it takes!

May the force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment